Expat Exposed is an information and community site that lays out the downside of emigrating to New Zealand, and helps potential and current expats help themselves through networking and emotional support.
About us:
Philosophy
Funding
FAQ
The Rules
Feeling profligate?

As a matter of policy, Expat Exposed does not run ads. While we're happy to shoulder the site costs, some people have voiced a desire to donate cash—and we'd be jerks to refuse an offer like that.

This topic has not been rated | Register/Log-in to rate this topic
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author

Rebel

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: Too lazy to say

Re: rip offs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:05 pm
bananachicken wrote:just to put into perspective, there were dairy owners giving out milk, water and batteries for free on saturday morning, they were indian immigrants though. i have no doubt there will be rip off merchants running around as well, lots of busted brickwork around town. i only have another week to go before i return to Australia

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/n...objectid=10671208

Quote:Suresh Patel of P&P Dairy in Hoon Hay went to open the shop as aftershocks rippled through Christchurch.

Local woman Shirley Homer, who was caught without batteries for a torch during the power cut that followed the earthquake, said she went to the dairy expecting prices to be at a premium.

Instead she was impressed to find Patel was giving his stock away.

"He would only take $2 for these two big batteries, and he gave the people behind me two bottles of milk for free," she said.

"He told them, 'Take whatever you need'. He's a gentleman, he will slip people a loaf of bread or give them some sweeties."

Patel said it had been a busy day.

"We decided we can help the people," he said.

The dairy had run out of water, milk and batteries by 8am.

Bless him, I wonder how he's doing now?

Antikiwi

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: NOT IN NEW ZEALAND
  • 0abot.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Last edited by Antikiwi on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Rebel

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:27 am
Kiwi45 wrote:
That's people just panicking. There is no need. I went supermarket shopping last night. There were supplies of everything. Just a lack of choice.

Supermarket three days after the quake

Thumbnail, click to enlarge.

http://www.flickr.com/photo...1@N08/4970061583/

Kiwi45

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: Christchurch
  • newzealand.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 am
Rebel wrote:
Kiwi45 wrote:
That's people just panicking. There is no need. I went supermarket shopping last night. There were supplies of everything. Just a lack of choice.

Supermarket three days after the quake

http://www.flickr.com/photo...1@N08/4970061583/

As I said, people just panicking. Pictures like that are scaremongering and posted by drama queens. Not helpful.

The Foodstuffs distribution warehouse was heavily damaged so Pak n Save, New World supermarkets got cleaned out. Progressive Food Supermarkets have plenty of food. Also the picture shows the bread racks - the main Chch bakery suffered power loss for a few hours so they couldnt make bread for one day. So yes, initially there was a run on bread. Food has been flown and trucked in from other cities.

I bought both water bottles and bread on tuesday.

Rebel

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:18 pm
The picture was of rather more than just bread racks.

Not sure that Nick's.place would like you dismissing him as a "drama queen" on the basis of one photo montage out of hundreds.

This is how many warehouses ended up

Uploaded by Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce, about as un-drama queen as you can get.

Hey, I'm glad though you managed to get what you needed though, it's a shame that so many other people couldn't.

Quote:JOBS LOST

Canterbury has been hit with the first job losses as a result of Saturday's devastating quake, with 86 workers losing their jobs at Kaiapoi's New World supermarket.

The supermarket, which employs 34 full time and 52 part-time staff, has been severely damaged by Saturday's earthquake and will not re-open for at least a year.

Kaiapoi, a town of about 10,000 near Christchurch, was badly hit by Saturday's 7.1 magnitute earthquake.

Foodstuffs said staff would receive full pay for two months and it would find them jobs in other supermarkets if they wanted to continue working for the company.

Foodstuffs chief executive Steve Anderson said the company was committed to rebuilding the supermarket but unfortunately for owners Andrew and Jacqui Palmer that would take a year.

"We are very distressed that the damage to the supermarket has meant we are unable to re-open and we are doing everything we can to help all of those affected."

Some of the locals discussed the Kaiapoi closure on Trade Me:
Quote:wonder if the countdown will up their stock levels?...

From where?
Distribution Centre is completely trashed apparantly, and now have to get stock in from Auckland. From what I heard last night in Rangiora Countdown, they don't know what they are getting until it arrives, and don't really know when stuff is arriving.

Im not sure if this may help you with expecting food. I live in Grymouth and have been in to fresh choice this morning to get my grocerys shop was half empty however i asked when they will be expecting food they said it was comming from auckland and they are expecting the first lot tomorrow.

This is the Foodstuff's warehouse in Hornby

It all emphasises very well that people in outlying districts really do need to have very well stocked and large emergency kits, that will keep them going for at least a week until they can source fresh supplies elsewhere.

Heck, this was just a limited damage quake, I would hate to be around for the really big one.

Antikiwi

• Rate this poster:  

• 0abot.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Last edited by Antikiwi on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Rebel

• Rate this poster:  

Another report of 'Looting'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 pm
It's going to be tough there for some while yet. I feel so sorry for people like these - to have gone through so much and then get robbed.

Quote:As if we have not been through enough...to be robbed

A friend of ours came through the earthquake with very little damage. They are a young couple with 2 little kiddies. On sunday they where out, they left the dog inside the house.
When they got home some pieces of scum broke into there house, fed the dog food while they trashed the house and robbed them of everything.
The bast**ds even stole the wee boys portable dvd player.
And get this they even stole my friend video of the birth of there children.
Pieces of ****.
Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

was on the news yesterday that someone even dressed and posed as a police officer to get closer to houses and then worked with others to rob them. How terrible is that.

hi, i am the person that topsy is talking about, we feel so vialated after the buggers being through my house, even going through my underwear drawer!!! and we thought th house would be ok as my staffy was inside, but NO, they feed her a whole cooked chicken through the cat door! ... then took ALL of our electronics!!! i am still really angry about the incident, and i reckon if i found out who the scums were i would be paying them a visit!! god i hope karma hits them hard!!! my 5yr old son, didnt want to bring anything back from his nanas incase they got stolen, so it has hit him hard too... poor lil guy. my 2 yr old has no idea. but my 17yr old sister that lives with us and my partner and myself, are kind of living on edge!!. the police have been out, we have been to the pawn shops to notify them, incase something of ours gets pawned.. but i reckon there is no luck in finding anything!!! assho*es!!! ggggrrrrrrrrr

Adversity brings out the worst in some people unfortunately.

Kiwi45

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 pm
Rebel wrote:The picture was of rather more than just bread racks.

Not sure that Nick's.place would like you dismissing him as a "drama queen" on the basis of one photo montage out of hundreds.

This is how many warehouses ended up

Uploaded by Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce, about as un-drama queen as you can get.

I think that what i am concerned about is that people only post the pictures that emphasise the drama. Pictures of things that werent affected dont interest people. Bad news sells, good news - not so much.. and it seems that same attitude is being reflected in this forum. But hey, I am fatigued and irritable like the majority of Chch residents, so I am probably being oversensitve.

There is damage in the city that is severe and extensive. However, a lot of the city is fine or suffered minor damage (like our house with one superficial crack in the brickwork following an aftershock) Some warehouses did end up like the picture, many did not. I could post pictures of my husband's warehouse and my son-in-law's warehouse (both large) that were both absolutely fine - not one box came down or even appeared to have moved, despite both having racking up to the same height as shown in this photo. Hubbie's warehouse is in the city right next to the CBD. We fully expected total destruction inside but there was nothing.

Rebel wrote:It all emphasises very well that people in outlying districts really do need to have very well stocked and large emergency kits, that will keep them going for at least a week until they can source fresh supplies elsewhere.

Actually people everywhere in NZ need to have well stocked and large emergency kits.

Rebel wrote:Heck, this was just a limited damage quake, I would hate to be around for the really big one.

It was big enough thanks lol. Despite being the same magnitude and depth as Haiti at 7.1 on the scale, no-one was killed and only 2 people seriously hurt. Reasons include: time of night, strict building codes, luck, and people knowing what to do.

What does concern me however is:

1. Two NEW subdivisions (in Kaiapoi and Bexley) were built on ground that was known to be very prone to liquefaction. What the heck is the point of a strict building code where we tout ourselves as being "world leaders" in earthquake risk management, when we allow new houses on land that is crap?? This makes me angry.

2. The lack of individual preparedness for food and water supplies by city residents. At my work place only 5/15 people had supplies. The rest would have been stuffed if not for the quick response of civil defence planning/mobilisation for repairs to water etc. And their unpreparedness would have placed pressure on those who did have supplies to share their limited resources. Not a moral dilemma I would want to have faced. Thankfully the vast majority of the city had water and power back within a few hours.
[/quote]

Kiwi45

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:04 pm
Rebel wrote:It's going to be tough there for some while yet. I feel so sorry for people like these - to have gone through so much and then get robbed.

Quote:As if we have not been through enough...to be robbed

A friend of ours came through the earthquake with very little damage. They are a young couple with 2 little kiddies. On sunday they where out, they left the dog inside the house.
When they got home some pieces of scum broke into there house, fed the dog food while they trashed the house and robbed them of everything.
The bast**ds even stole the wee boys portable dvd player.
And get this they even stole my friend video of the birth of there children.
Pieces of ****.
Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

was on the news yesterday that someone even dressed and posed as a police officer to get closer to houses and then worked with others to rob them. How terrible is that.

hi, i am the person that topsy is talking about, we feel so vialated after the buggers being through my house, even going through my underwear drawer!!! and we thought th house would be ok as my staffy was inside, but NO, they feed her a whole cooked chicken through the cat door! ... then took ALL of our electronics!!! i am still really angry about the incident, and i reckon if i found out who the scums were i would be paying them a visit!! god i hope karma hits them hard!!! my 5yr old son, didnt want to bring anything back from his nanas incase they got stolen, so it has hit him hard too... poor lil guy. my 2 yr old has no idea. but my 17yr old sister that lives with us and my partner and myself, are kind of living on edge!!. the police have been out, we have been to the pawn shops to notify them, incase something of ours gets pawned.. but i reckon there is no luck in finding anything!!! assho*es!!! ggggrrrrrrrrr

Adversity brings out the worst in some people unfortunately.

And unfortunately, the same low lifes who lived in the city before the event, still live here (remember no-one got killed - almost seems a shame when you read stories like this!) and clearly their moral life code has not altered one bit.

Rebel

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:18 pm
The point being that these people probably wouldn't have got robbed if they'd had the increased level of police protection/security that the city centre had.

We know that Christchurch has got plenty of problems with scumbags - it's what's not being done about them that's the issue.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/n...objectid=10672213
Quote:Burglars have broken into a Christchurch special needs school and stolen thousands of dollars worth of equipment from disabled students struggling to come to terms with Saturday's earthquake.

There simply isn't enough of a police presence to go round and people are taking advantage of the situation.

alby

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: Auckland
  • india.gif Send private message

Looting oops "burglary" still active in Christchur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 pm
as of Thursday.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/n...objectid=10672213

Quote:Burglars have broken into a Christchurch special needs school and stolen thousands of dollars worth of equipment from disabled students struggling to come to terms with Saturday's earthquake

Dálvvadis

• Rate this poster:  

• _europe.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 pm
Just remembered a kid with special needs that had a special tailor made talking/picture computer that someone walked in and stole, was on TV a year or two ago.

Super market in Kaiapoi is closed down.

Dálvvadis

• Rate this poster:  

• _europe.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 pm
I do think nasty things happen wherever a EQ is.
The difference I think is that kiwis do not want hear or see that this even happens in Gods-zone.
You are in: The Square
Jump to:  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic | Post your reply | View next topic

Weekly Topics

Editor's Columns

The Daily Elephant

Latest from the Square

Latest from the Sofa