Expat Exposed is an information and community site that lays out the downside of emigrating to New Zealand, and helps potential and current expats help themselves through networking and emotional support.
About us:
Philosophy
Funding
FAQ
The Rules
Feeling profligate?

As a matter of policy, Expat Exposed does not run ads. While we're happy to shoulder the site costs, some people have voiced a desire to donate cash—and we'd be jerks to refuse an offer like that.

This topic has not been rated | Register/Log-in to rate this topic
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author

Lantana

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: Too lazy to say

what's the point?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 am

Last edited by Lantana on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 am

secret_squirrel

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: Auckland
  • newzealand.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:19 pm
Well said Lantana. The Lovely Bones was apalling and I use the LOTR movies as a cure for insomnia. I shudder to think of the treatment he'll give his 'Dambusters' remake (a film that does not need to be remade - just like King Kong). No, I'm not a tall poppy agent I just don't think a mediocre Kiwi director should be worshipped just because he's a Kiwi.

Lantana

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Last edited by Lantana on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am

L. Brea

• Rate this poster:  

• 0abot.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 pm
Poor Les, based on what I see it is actually very hard for old people to get by on superannuation here. Crying or Very sad

Hobbit movies are fine, but they do not have the technical know-how or resources to pull off good "special fx" type movies for non-fantasy or non-NZ settings.

Lantana

• Rate this poster:  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Last edited by Lantana on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am

NZ_Outsider

• Rate this poster:  

• I am in: NOT IN NEW ZEALAND
  • uk.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:37 am
I've long said that Peter Jackson is a hack and possibly the luckiest man in NZ.

I was first introduced to his works via a after-pub viewing of Bad Taste, which lead me to his other splatter-movie, Braindead. Two movies so bad that they are good.

How Sir Peter got from zombie eyeballs floating in soup to the Lord of the Rings is an absolute mystery to me. Sure, Heavenly Creatures was OK, but the BBC used to knock stuff like that out all the time once upon a time. It is hardly a calling card for Hollywood to throw money at Jackson.

My theory is that it isn't Peter Jackson, it's those that he surrounds himself with. The likes of Richard Taylor and Fran Walsh bring more to the table than that old little nerd.

Also, New Zealand is full of English-speaking cheap labour, an instant advantage over Eastern-European countries. "Mexicans with cellphones", as they say.

On Jackson's choice of films, well apart from his early splatter movies. None of his films are based on original ideas. The likes of Heavenly Creatures (about a real-life killing), Lord of the Rings, Kong and Lovely Bone are all derivative works. OK, he did that Frighteners movie (but I never saw that).

I also find it interesting that after Lord of the Rings put him on a pedestal, he went on to direct that bore-fest King Kong remake. A overly indulgent, pointless remake that looked nice but bored the pants of it's audience.

As Sir Pete told the world he was hanging up his furry Hobbit feet and moving onto adapt Lovely Bones, poor old Guillermo Del Toro started work on The Hobbit film, that he thought he was going to direct.

As The Lovely Bone crashed and burnt, Jackson could see himself heading for the Hollywood scrap-pile. Suddenly he had a change of heart and his previously documented reluctance to direct Tolkien's work evaporated.

Just as Kevin Smith can only make decent films about d**k and f**t joke, Peter Jackson is the one trick pony that can only direct other peoples epic fantasy stories.

Personally I like the Lord of the Rings films, but when I watch them I can't thinking that I looking at the nice scenery, whilst what is directly front of me isn't actually that good- sort of like New Zealand, really.

On the flip side, Weta (workshop and digital)is probably the only ACTUAL "world-class' thing in NZ. A job at Weta would have been the only thing that would have kept me in NZ. Sure Weta only exists due to Peter Jackson's extraordinary luck, but it is still one of the top special effects studios in the world.

Peter Jackson is a hack (and I understand a nasty piece of work with it- he got NZ's employment laws changed by twisting DonKey's arm).

Weta on the other hand do a pretty fantastic job. Take a look at Rise of the Planet of the Apes, District 9 or the Tintin movie.

L. Brea

• Rate this poster:  

• 0abot.gif Send private message

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 pm
District 9 was amazing. I really liked it. Talk about "Massive Prawns"! Laugh
You are in: The Sofa
Jump to:  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic | Post your reply | View next topic

Weekly Topics

Editor's Columns

The Daily Elephant

Latest from the Square

Latest from the Sofa